Your Cart Is Empty!
- Godrej, ITC, and Wipro are major players in the personal hygiene category, primarily through bar soap, which is by far the largest subcategory, worth over $2.2bn. Companies looking to expand in India will find the bar soap category well saturated, but there is plenty of growth waiting to be captured in other categories.
- Each of the top five Indian personal care manufacturers has a stronghold in at least one product subcategory: Godrej in hair coloring and bar soap, Marico in hair oil, Dabur in ayurvedic/"natural" toothpaste and hair oil, ITC in deodorants, and Wipro in bar soaps. Companies looking to expand in these spaces need to take particular note of these strengths.
- Godrej and Wipro each have about half of their sales outside India, have been most active in acquisitions, and have large cash reserves available for making new acquisitions. These two companies are the biggest competitive threat for companies looking to expand through acquisitions in personal care.
As domestic companies in emerging markets gain strength and publicly declare their intent to become multinational competitors, it is becoming more important than ever to stay on top of India-based companies successes and strategies.
Reasons To Buy
- Compares the goals and strategies of the leading personal care manufacturers in India, providing a clear view of the competitive playing field.
- Analyzes the presence of each company, category by category, brand by brand, revealing the strengths and weaknesses of each company.
- Examines the innovation strategies of each manufacturer, suggesting future strengths and weaknesses.
- Offers insights into where these companies are likely to be seeking MandA and retailer partnership opportunities.
- Illustrates the threats and opportunities for international players.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Introduction
Indias personal care market is valued at over $7bn
Bar soap is the top-selling personal care category in India
Indian companies are strongest in haircare, dominating hair oil
Indian companies are among the top three players in several categories
Indias personal care sector has significant room for growth
Indias top five vary widely in size and strategy
All five companies compete broadly across multiple categories and subcategories
Geographically, ITC is the only company whose presence is limited to India
Chapter 2 Godrej
Godrej as a whole
Godrej in personal care
Godrej by category
Godrej has a strong base of extendable heritage brands
Godrej innovation aims to upscale to mass-premium
Cinthol remade from value to premium
Protekt recreated to be more differentiated with a green side
Godrej No.1 extends from bar soap into face wash for women
Godrej hair coloring leverages technology from international acquisitions
Godrej extends into "mass premium" haircare
Godrej aims for international growth via acquisition
Chapter 3 Marico
Marico as a whole
Marico in personal care
Marico by category
Parachute remains at the hub of Maricos brand strategy
Marico practices a slow, focused approach to innovation
Deodorant brands Zatak and Set Wet innovate to hold market share
Set Wet styling gel got an update in 2015
Parachute Advansed body lotion named a Nielsen Breakthrough Innovation
Marico has extended beyond coconut oil into other types of hair oil
Livon extends into hair coloring in 2014
Marico acquisitions for geographic and category expansion
Category expansion strategy focused on mens hair styling and deodorants
Geographic expansion strategy focused on establishing hubs in Asia and Africa
Chapter 4 Dabur
Dabur as a whole
Dabur in personal care
Dabur by category
Dabur has a strong plan for organic growth
Significant opportunity for organic growth exists in Daburs main categories in India
Dabur taps into professional salons as well as the retail market
Dabur has been an active Internet marketer since 2011
Daburs efforts to expand distribution contribute to growth
Dabur innovation stresses safe, "natural," effective ingredients
Dabur acquisitions extend category and geographic reach
Chapter 5 ITC
ITC as a whole
ITC in personal care
ITC by category
ITCs strength has been in developing its own brands
Essenza Di Wills super-premium line extended from ITCs apparel line
Fiama Di Wills premium line promises indulgence with gel-based products
Mid-market Vivel focuses on skin nourishing with crEme-based products
Mass-market brand Superia serves the economy segment
ITC has launched a steady stream of innovative new products
Vivel has become a mega-brand expanding across categories
Fiama Di Wills innovation has delivered on upscale experiences
Engage introduced a new "pairs" concept to the spray deodorant subcategory
Expanding domestic distribution has been a major focus
Acquisitions are not a major focus for ITC personal care
ITC is focused on India, not international expansion
Chapter 6 Wipro
Wipro as a whole
Wipro in personal care sector
Wipro by category
Wipros personal care volume is highly concentrated
Santoor growth strategy focused in South India
Rural markets drive Santoor brand
Wipro innovation has focused on three categories
Wipro acquisition strategy is product-focused
Chapter 7 Other companies to watch
Product category abbreviations used in this report:
Other abbreviations used in this report:
Procter and Gamble
The Himalaya Drug Company
Following are different modes of Licenses.
a. Single User License:
This license allows only one person to use the report. This person can use the report on any computer and may take print outs of the report but must take care of not sharing the report (or any information contained therein) with any other individual or people. Unless you purchase a Site License or a Global Site License, a Single User License must be purchased for every single person that wishes to use the report within the same enterprise.
b. Single Site License:
This license allows unlimited users to use the report within one company location, e.g. a regional office. These users can use the report on any computer and may take print outs of the report but must take care of not sharing the report (or any information contained therein) with any other individual or people.
c. Global Site License:
A Global Site License (or Enterprise wide Site License or Global License) is a license granted to original purchaser, who can share a report with other employees and authorized Users of the same organization.
1. How do you deliver the reports?
The delivery of reports is depends on format & mode of license of report(s). Following are different kinds of formats of report(s) and their delivery options :
a. Electronic Format – Through email from Publisher
Report will be sent to your username email address in PDF, Excel, PowerPoint or any other electronic / softcopy format by publisher.
Delivery Time: 12 to 48 hours [depending on time difference or occurrences of national holidays]
b. Hard Copy or Printed Format or CD-Rom – Through Mail or Courier from Publisher
Report will be sent through mail / courier delivery to your shipping address by publisher.
Delivery Time: Less than, few weeks [depending on time difference or occurrences of national holidays]
2. How can I make payment for publications I purchase?
You could be able to make the payment, in following ways:
a. Online Secure Payment through Credit Card Payment : We accept Visa, Master, AMEX Cards & CCAvenue
b. Transfer of fund to our bank account via Bank transfer or Wire transfer
c. Payment via DD or Cheque
3. Is it safe to use my credit card on MarketinfoResearch?
Your personal information and online tranaction on Marketinfo Research is secure, private, and tamper-proof. All credit card payments are processed through secure and trusted payment gateways.